Peter Marshall's Library of Pictures
The work shown here is a very small selection of the approximately 100,000 exposures taken in Greater London by Peter Marshall since the early 1980's. The vast majority of this work is in black and white only.
The aim of this work has expanded with time. It now hopes to include photographs of all significant buildings and structures in the Greater London area - basically the area withing the M25 with some adjoining urban centres. It also aims to provide typical examples of all building types within the area. As well as buildings it also includes decorative features (murals, reliefs etc), sculpture and statues in public places, parks and gardens, general views, infrastructure etc.
Given the scope of this work it is unlikely ever to be complete, particularly given the rate of new building, but the coverage of many areas is already extremely thorough. It already includes many building which have been demolished since the work started. All photographs are from publicly accessible areas; no model or building releases are available. Buildings which cannot be viewed satisfactorily from public roads or paths have been excluded.
It is unfortunately not possible at present to make all of the library available on-line. Much of it is stored only in the form of negatives and contact prints, and although computer indexed in very general terms a complete search still requires reference to these sheets to find specific pictures.
Searches can be carried out for particular requests for commercial use only and thumbnail jpeg files matching these searches sent free of charge by e-mail.
Where requests identify buildings which have not yet been photographed which are within the scope of the library, these will be photographed and added to the library as soon as possible.
Specifying a search
Any requests for searches should include:
- Name of the person and organisation requesting the search.
- Possible use for which search required.
- If for a specific building: Name or number, address, description etc.
- For other searches, any or all of the following: Building type or use, age, location (London Borough, area name, map reference).
- and any other details about the type of picture required.
Send search request to me.
Work in Colour
This work is on colour negative film/colour print:
- Extensive series of shop-fronts, window displays and shop interiors
- panoramic series on the Docklands Light Railway
- panoramic series on the City of London
- panoramic series on and around the line of the Greenwich Meridian through London
- normal format and panoramic photographs of the Notting Hill Carnival
Other Black and White work
- Notting Hill Carnival, 1990-96
- Transport in London, including a series of people on buses and also panoramic photographs of the Beckton branch of the Docklands Light Railway during construction.
- Various demonstrations in London, including Gay Pride marches, CND and Anti-Apartheid marches and events, Union marches etc. Other public events.