London Independent Photography
LIP was founded in 1987 with the following aims:
- To support and promote independent photography in the London region
- to organize exhibitions, promote critical debate about photography and to seek funds for projects
- to gain wider acceptance of photography as a visual art and to encourage the broader cultural and social uses of the medium
- to represent the interests of its members and cooperate with other photographic organisations
- to encourage participation in its activities of photographers from all sections of the population
It organizes regular meetings and workshops at the Photographers' Gallery and other venues, annual group exhibitions and a magazine LipService, now also on-line.
There are regular meetings at which members can bring their work for group discussion and criticism, both in Central London and also a number of local groups.
LIP Local Groups
Several of these have now had a number of successful meetings. As well as talking about photography and discussing your current work, we hope that local groups will be planning other activities, including possible exhibitions. All members are welcome at any group - contact the following for details:
Contact the people below for details of times and location of meetings:
- Quentin Ball, 1 Summerland Gdns, N10 3QN, 0181 444-5505
- Jim Barron, 6 Park Rd, Twickenham, TW1 2PX, 0181 892-9044
- Yoke Matze, 11 Thorncombe Rd, E Dulwich, SE22 0181 693-8107
- Graeme Webb, 377 Cadwallon Rd, SE9 3PX 0181 850-4771
- Alison Williams, 21b Greenhill Rd, Harrow, HA1 1LD 0181 427-0268
Individual membership is open to all. The current annual subscription is £14 (£8 for unwaged, students etc.) Please phone Janet Hall (0181 847 5989) for further details and a membership form.
LipService - The Journal of London Independent Photography - On-line issues